ROCK SALT AND ANTIFREEZE POISONING
Although snow and ice can be fun for animals to play in, we need to be extra cautious as hundreds of pets are becoming seriously ill or in some cases dying because of rock salt and antifreeze being used during the winter months.
Many pathways, roads and even quiet country roads are gritted with rock salt.
This is extremely dangerous to dogs and cats.
Rock salt has extremely high levels of sodium which is very toxic to dogs and cats. It can contain magnesium that can also burn their mouths and throats.
After eating/licking rock salt it can VERY quickly lead to kidney failure, if left untreated it can be life threatening.
So act immediately!
Dogs and cats that have been outside should have their feet washed off and dried to avoid them grooming rock salt off themselves. Long haired breeds should also have their feet fur clipped shorter.
Ethylene glycol is a chemical found in antifreeze and similar products. Unlike most poisons which usually taste bitter, it has a sweet desirable taste to both cats and dogs.
It is a bright colour to us to warn us of its danger but the smell is so attractive to dogs and cats they will usually lick spillages or snow where it has dropped onto.
When consumed, the ethylene glycol will cause crystals to form in the kidneys causing extreme pain and kidney failure.
Please be extra cautious and clean up any spills when filling your car.
IF YOU SUSPECT ANY OF THE ABOVE POISONINGS THEN CALL US, IMMEDIATE ACTION IS REQUIRED
The Dam Veterinary Centre
Welcome to the online home of The Dam Veterinary Centre.
We are a small animal purpose built Veterinary Practice based in Selby, North Yorkshire.
We hope you enjoy our website, why not look at the services we offer or get in touch.
MONDAY to FRIDAY 8.30am to 7pm
SATURDAY 8.30am - 12.30pm
SUNDAY- OUT OF HOURS
EXPECT THE BEST FOR YOUR PET!
Inspected and Approved by the BSAVA